Ebert Queens Webpage

by Jorge

Link: http://www.ebertqueens.com/

After a couple of years of promising to develop an online ordering option, EbertQueens.com is operational. It is a pretty simple website that tracks inventory and offers online billing and shipping information dedicated to queen orders. We will continue to develop it as time passes.

Since I work full-time at Mount Mercy University, keep a good number of hives for honey production, and raise/distribute queens, it's a challenge to handle all the business through phone conversation. It takes a lot of work with the bees to make everything possible. The website allows buyers to get their orders on the books without waiting for a callback. I hope it makes your lives easier! Payment is possible through existing PayPal accounts and credit card payments that are processed through PayPal. It is NOT necessary to have a fully registered PayPal account to use your credit card--PayPal can also process credit cards as a merchant service.

I will soon have an update on the honey crop prospects--after ten days of frequent rain, the sun is out and the bees are active in the boxes!!!!

Black locust bloom

by Jorge

The black locust bloom is usually the moment when we really want to have supers out on the strong hives. Splits aren't ready to forage for surplus honey when locusts flower, but they can still provide a nice boost as the hives mature. At one location, there is pretty easy access to a couple of locust trees :)

A more complete grove of these trees sits just across the road, and it's nice to know that the bees didn't have to fly too far to get some pretty significant nourishment between rains. It was a windy day when I took the picture of the bee yard, so the trees don't look quite as white in the picture as they appear in person during full bloom. Now the locust flowers are mostly fading after several days of blooming, but here is an image of their blossoms in their more pristine phase.

Bees and Floodwater

by Jorge

After a vicious drought in 2012, we are currently flirting with a return to serious flooding. The past four days have all involved precipitation, and there is a good chance of more rain for the next few days too. Strong storms are moving across the southern tier of the state tonight too.

Our home location of Lynnville is not in any danger of flooding, but the river bottom near the actual town and one of our bee yards is rather wet. Alex took these pictures very recently:

I am glad we don't have any hives sitting next to a levee anymore. We had to be on high-alert for several years in a row when the waters rose near the town of Pella, but we eventually moved them out after making some wet memories in the world of bee-rescue.

Apple Pollination 2013

by Jorge

This has been an excellent year for bees in apple pollination in this area. The temperatures climbed into the seventies and eighties for a number of days, and the colonies are jammed with apple pollen. They are also packed with lots of new brood and a fair amount of honey. I split the strong colonies before going into pollination, and they will need split again as they come out two weeks later. Here is an image of some really nice single colonies that were helping set this year's fruit (I gave them a second hive body two or three days ago):

There are another twenty hives to the right of the pallet in the image, and they all look very strong. Hopefully the buildup will translate into lots of apples in the orchard and lots of bees to make honey later in the year.

Bee losses and the economy

by Jorge

Link: http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2013/05/02/us-bee-population-drop-result-of-multiple-factors-government/article

I've linked a current article about the US bee population from a local paper and pasted it below. It has been a rough winter moving into 2013. The Ebert bees made it in decent shape but things don't sound good overall. The California almond growers were beyond desperate this year. There is consequently another surge in bee-related press after many losses in the US and around the world. Click the link above to visit the Des Moines Register and the original article.

"Beekeeping continues to get more complex US bee population drop result of multiple factors: government"

11:21 AM, May 2, 2013 | by Christopher Doering | Comments Categories: Green Fields: Agriculture and Alternative Energy

The U.S. government said on Thursday there are multiple factors contributing to the decline in honey bee colonies across the United States.

The report, released by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, said the honey bee decline is the result of parasites and disease, genetics, poor nutrition and pesticide exposure.

“The decline in honey bee health is a complex problem caused by a combination of stressors,” said Bob Perciasepe, EPA’s acting administrator. “As the report makes clear, we’ve made significant progress, but there is still much work to be done to protect the honey bee population.”

The government said an estimated one-third of all food and beverages are made possible by pollination, mainly by honey bees. In the United States, pollination contributes to crop production worth$20-30 billion in agricultural production annually.

“The Agriculture Department/Environmental Protection Agency report issued today concludes what farmers and scientists have known for some time—that there isn’t just one cause to the decline in honey bee numbers,” said Bob Stallman, president of the American Farm Bureau Federation. “The good health of the honey bee is extremely
important to American agriculture. Many farmers and ranchers require honey bees
and other pollinators to produce a healthy, bountiful crop."

Tags: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, usda

The more complete report from the USDA is found here: http://www.usda.gov/documents/ReportHoneyBeeHealth.pdf

<< 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 27 >>